A well-written bio can make all the difference for financial advisors.
You only have one shot at making a good first impression, and your online biography might just be that one shot!
You want to make an impression that showcases your personality, stands out among the rest, and communicates your unique value proposition.
So how do you write a great biography that delivers all three?
Why Do You Need A Biography?
A winning biography provides your leads and prospects with information about your background, areas of strength, and past achievements. This positions you in your best light and helps prospects determine if you are a good match for their needs.
What To Include
A great biography requires telling the reader the following in an engaging way:
- About You & Your Team: This includes your background, education, AND a bit of personality!
- Where You Excel: Areas of expertise, strengths, and accomplishments.
- How You Can Help: Your process and how you help clients.
Take the time to thoughtfully write out your biography.
At the end of the day, it is a representation of who you are.
It also provides you with an opportunity to connect with your visitors on a more personal level, it can give the visitor a sense of what working with you will be like.
Keep It Short, But Interesting
Keep in mind that online readers tend to skim through content. On the average webpage, users have time to read at most 28% of the words during an average visit, with 20% being more likely.
The quality and relevancy of the content that you provide on your website impacts the first impression that you make to your visitors and potential clients.
Users often leave web pages in 10-20 seconds, but pages with a clear value proposition can hold people's attention for much longer. To gain several minutes of user attention, you must clearly communicate your value proposition within 10 seconds.
This means that all copy published on your website must be concise and well-written while delivering value - this includes your biography and About Us page.
That's why you will want to keep your biography short yet informative and, whenever possible, use bullet points and bold important information.
How To Write An Engaging Biography For Your Financial Advisor Website
Here's a series of questions to ask yourself as you start writing your engaging biography.
Not all may be relevant to you, so feel free to incorporate those that apply and include additional details that are important to you.
1. Your professional details
- Financial title i.e.: Investment Representative, Financial Planner etc.
- Number of years in the industry
- Have you had more than one role in the financial industry? Describe and give the number of years in each role i.e.: Financial Advisor, Associate, Regional or Division Director etc.
- Do you have other relevant experience? Describe and indicate how this relates to the work you do today and how it can enhance your ability to help clients.
- Why should clients choose you as their financial advisor?
- What do you most enjoy about helping clients?
- How do you keep in touch with clients and provide them with the information they need?
2. Your qualifications
- Published works
- Awards and professional distinctions i.e.: Rookie advisor award etc.
- Professional designation i.e.: CFP, CLU etc.
3. Your strengths and beliefs
- What makes you unique?
- What are your strengths?
- What are your beliefs about the profession?
- Do you work with a special market(s) i.e.: retirees, ethnic market, families, business owners etc.
- How do you help these markets?
4. Your community involvement
- Describe your community involvement and explain why it is important to you
5. Your personal details
- Marital and family status (if you wish)
- Hobbies and interest (can be really effective if you target a special market group)
- Where you're from & reside today
Tell Your Story!
Try to incorporate your own personal style and voice into your copywriting to make it engaging and have it stand out.
If you still are a little unsure about how to start, check out our guide on How To Write A Financial Advisor Biography In 5 Easy Steps by clicking here or download our free worksheet: 3 Biography Templates With Samples by clicking here.
In the meantime, take a look at the biography example we've shared below, which combines all of the suggestions we've shared throughout this article.
Financial Advisor Biography Example
John Doe has been with the Financial Company Group since 2006. Before that, he spent five years as a sales manager selling health products to the medical industry, which built an ideal foundation for his work as a financial advisor.
Attention to detail, good listening skills and great empathy are just a few of the attributes his clients appreciate most. He is supported by a team of administration, group benefits, and investment products specialists whose teamwork and professionalism help him to provide you with the utmost in customer service.
John is a proud recipient of University XYZ’s MBA of Finance and was recently invited to join the Million Dollar Round Table. His focus is on doctors and health practitioners, golfers, and winter sports professionals.
John is happily married to his beautiful wife Jane and has two lovely daughters. When he isn't supporting his clients, he can be found golfing, skiing, and spending time with family and friends.