A well-written bio can make all the difference for financial advisors. You only have one shot at making a good first impression, and your online biography might just be that one shot! You want to make an impression that showcases your personality, stands out among the rest, and communicates your unique value proposition. So how do you write a great biography that delivers all three?
WHY TAKE THE TIME TO WRITE A BIOGRAPHY?
A winning biography provides your leads and prospects with information about your background, areas of strengths, and past achievements, positioning you in your best light and helping them determine if you are a good match for their needs.
WHAT TO INCLUDE
A good bio should always tell the following in an engaging way:
- About You & Your Team: Background, education, AND a bit of personality!
- Where You Excel: Areas of expertise, strengths, and accomplishments
- How You Can Help: Your process and how you help clients
Take the time to thoughtfully write your bio, at the end of the day it is a representation of who you are giving you the opportunity to connect with your visitors on a more personal level. It gives your visitor a sense of what working with you will be like.
KEEP IT SHORT & INTERESTING (LESS IS MORE!)
The quality and relevancy of all content of your website contributes to the first impression you make to your visitor and potential client. The content should concise and well-written while delivering value - this includes your bio! Online readers tend to skim through content so we recommended keeping your bio short and whenever possible, utilize bullet points and bold important information.
“On the average Web page, users have time to read at most 28% of the words during an average visit; 20% is more likely.1”
“Users often leave Web pages in 10–20 seconds, but pages with a clear value proposition can hold people's attention for much longer. To gain several minutes of user attention, you must clearly communicate your value proposition within 10 seconds.2”
Here's a series of questions to help you get started in writing an engaging bio. Not all may be relevant to you, so feel free to incorporate those that apply and include additional details that are important to you.
1. Your professional details
- Financial title i.e.: Investment Representative, Financial Planner etc.
- Number of years in the industry
- Have you had more than one role in the financial industry? Describe and give the number of years in each role i.e.: Financial Advisor, Associate, Regional or Division Director etc.
- Do you have other relevant experience? Describe and indicate how this relates to the work you do today and how it can enhance your ability to help clients.
- Why should clients choose you as their financial advisor?
- What do you most enjoy about helping clients?
- How do you keep in touch with clients and provide them with the information they need?
2. Your qualifications
- Published works
- Awards and professional distinctions i.e.: Rookie advisor award etc.
- Professional designation i.e.: CFP, CLU etc.
3. Your strengths and beliefs
- What makes you unique?
- What are your strengths?
- What are your beliefs about the profession?
- Do you work with a special market(s) i.e.: retirees, ethnic market, families, business owners etc.
- How do you help these markets?
4. Your community involvement
- Describe your community involvement and explain why it is important to you
5. Your personal details
- Marital and family status (if you wish)
- Hobbies and interest (can be really effective if you target a special market group)
- Where you're from & reside today
Tell Your Story!
It is acceptable to start your bio with first person references and midway change to the third person. Try to incorporate your own personal style and voice to your copywriting to make it engaging and have it stand out.
Still struggling? We help our clients with ther bios.
SAMPLE FINANCIAL ADVISOR BIO
John Doe has been with the Financial Company Group. since 2006. He believes his previous five years as a sales manager selling health products to the medical industry were an ideal foundation for his work as a financial advisor.
Attention to detail, good listening skills and great empathy are symbols of his appreciation by his clients. He is effectively supported by a team of administration, group benefits and investment products specialists whose teamwork and professionalism help him build long-term relationships with his growing client base and provide excellent customer service.
John is a proud recipient of University XYZ’s MBA of Finance and was recently invited to join the Million Dollar Round Table. His focus is on doctors and health practitioners, golfers and winter sport professionals.
John is happily married to his lovely wife Jane and has two lovely daughters. Away from the business, he enjoys golfing, skiing and spending time with family and friend.
WHO ARE WE?
At Advisor Websites we help financial advisors grow their business and enhance their digital marketing strategies with their own personalized website. Our platform offers a selection of effective and proven frameworks that are personalized to reflect your business and brand.
To see our platform in action today: