Whenever people talk about cold calling, you will most likely hear negative comments. Some people consider it to be rude while others may feel being harassed. On the flip side, the great thing about adding cold calling to your marketing arsenal is that it can generate leads almost immediately!
The most common question financial advisors ask me about cold calling is “How do I avoid irritating others while convincing them to listen to what I have to say?”
If you truly want to succeed in cold calling and avoid the regular sales pitch etiquette, try to educate your potential clients instead. Have a conversation with them; try to qualify their needs and explain them how they could benefit from your product offering.
Many new financial advisors were “forced” into leaving the industry because of cold calling. Just remember what your main goal is: educate your customer and add value!
Pros and cons
- Can deliver fast results and generate quality leads
- Can be repetitive, tiring, time consuming and frustrating to some people
10 effective cold calling tips
- Get an up to date list of phone numbers and contact names
- Be prepared. Know what you are going to say
- Smile. Make sure you are smiling every time you pick up the phone
- 'How's it going?' Never ask the gatekeeper or prospect how they are doing
- Know the business you are calling
- Know who you are talking too
- Acknowledge their time limit
- Make a guarantee! Sounds cheesy? Try it
- Confirm. Ask your prospect to write down the appointment
- Feel Felt Found. If you are stuck on any objection, always revert to the ol' FEEL Felt Found
This concludes our first part of the 'Financial Advisor Marketing Tools' blog series. Next week's topics will cover referrals and recommendations.