I thought it would be valuable to create a simple worksheet to help advisors get started on LinkedIn.
Total Time Required: 2-3 Hours
On the first day, we will focus on just setting up the account and getting everything ready
- Go to LinkedIn and create a free account www.linkedin.com (15 minutes)
- Fill out your profile information and upload your photo. You may want to have a copy of your resume handy for this. Ensure you fill out as much information as possible (15 minutes)
- Add contacts: you want to send invites to as many contacts as you can. Here is a list of contact type to consider: (1 hour 15 minutes)
- Client list
- Outlook contacts
- Newsletter subscribers
- Service providers
- Personal contacts
- Client Leads
- Join 5 groups of interest to you: (15 minutes)
- Professional groups. i.e. financial planning associations, industry groups
- Target client groups. i.e. if your target audience is dentists, find a specific group for dentists and join this group
By day 7, you should have a good portion of the individuals you have invited accept your invitations. At this time we are ready for recommendations.
- Request recommendations from 5-10 of your best clients & contacts (15 minutes)
- Feel free to provide any recommendations for your service providers who you feel deserve them (30 Minutes)
- Each time you get a new client, meet a new contact through networking etc… add them to your LinkedIn network
- Engage any opportunities
- Engage with groups
- Stay tuned for more on going ideas. (that will be my next post)....
You can add me on your contact list: http://ca.linkedin.com/in/bartwisniowski