Last October 2015, the SEC approved of FINRA BrokerCheck rule 2210.
Here is the FINRA executive summary explaining the rule in regulatory notice 15-50:
"The SEC approved amendments to FINRA Rule 2210 (Communications with the Public) to require each of a member firm’s websites to include a readily apparent reference and hyperlink to BrokerCheck on (1) the initial Web page that the firm intends to be viewed by retail investors, and (2) any other Web page that includes a professional profile of one or more registered persons who conduct business with retail investors. The rule amendments become effective June 6, 2016."
Here is a link to the full Regulatory Notice 1-50. (Please note that the FINRA BrokerCheck changes must be completed by June 6th, 2016).
Important: If you have a website, there is a chance you will now be required to put a link on your website. This link goes to this FINRA brokercheck database page where people can check out your work history and record.
A footer at the bottom of your site does not satisfy the 'readily apparent' requirement. Our team has designed a sticky footer that satisfies and adds to your website layout. Find out more details here about our sticky footer.
Key points on how the FINRA BrokerCheck rules apply to your website:
- The FINRA BrokerCheck changes must be completed by June 6th, 2016.
- The main change is requiring the placement of a link in the bottom of the page that directs to the advisor database.
- If you have a website with us and we haven't made the change for you yet, simply let the support team know that the updated FINRA BrokerCheck rule applies to you.
- Any financial advisor using a broker/dealer will most certainly need to put the link up.
- This also may be required for some RIAs. Please check in your jurisdiction.
- The picture below with the blue background on the link text is an example of how it will look:
For more information on this, please do not hesitate to contact us through support or sales. The phone number is 1.888.946.3188.
If you are a financial advisor that needs a better website, then book a demo with our great team today.