For financial advisors, finding new leads everyday is a time-consuming process. And it doesn’t stop there - the goal of prospecting isn't about closing sales but rather building relationships. The best financial advisor lead generation activities also include nurturing leads through consistent, valuable communication capable of keeping you top-of-mind and turning these prospects into clients.
The good news is that there are plenty of ways you can leverage digital tools to personalize and automate your marketing strategy. Here are 5 simple steps you can follow that will help you find, reach, and nurture more prospects.
Step 1: Know Your Audience
The first and most important step of any financial advisor lead generation effort: understand your target client’s behaviours and preferences as they interact with you online, whether that’s through your website or across your social media.
Create a buyer persona
In a NetProspex case study, creating buyer personas resulted in:
- 900% increase in visit duration
- 100% increase in the number of pages visited
- 111% increase in email open rate
- 171% increase in marketing-generated revenue
- 46% increase in conversions
Buyer personas are a fictional construct of what a client might look like - not just a list of demographics. It is a made-up person who shares your ideal client's most common traits, goals, aspirations, and motivations - note this is not just demographic information (i.e. age and income level). A buyer persona is the best way to get to know your clients.
Leverage Your Experience
One of the best strategies for understanding your target market is to collect and analyze data from your happiest clients. This will allow you to learn more about their pain points and how to serve them better. You should reference phone calls, support emails, and any other user activity you have access to (think social media likes, comments, etc!).
Step 2: Find Your Audience
When you have a good idea of who your audience is, the next step is to find them. You can’t sit back and hope that people find your website by themselves. You must do your part and put in an effort to identify where they are and reach them.
Is your audience interested in…
- Reading financial news and advice blogs?
- Watch finance related videos on YouTube?
- Listen to finance podcasts?
- Subscribe to financial newsletters for the latest tips?
If you’re unsure where you should go to find and begin engaging with your ideal clients, start with social media. The reason is simple: it has become ubiquitous. For financial advisors Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter are the go-to platforms for finding prospects and generating high quality leads.
Step 3: Become A Source of Value
Before you create content you need two things. First, know your audience well with the help of a buyer persona so you know how to speak to their desires and frustrations. Second, have core topics to create content around.
Your core topics may look something like the following:
- Why long-term investing is key
- Why diversification is a must
- How to keep costs down
- How to keep taxes low
- How to maintain discipline
Tips if you find yourself struggling to create unique content:
- Ask your prospects what they would like to learn more about via email and social media
- Look to your competitors for inspiration (if they’re doing well)
- Everyday, people use the internet to tell the world what they care about most. Using social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook and joining industry-specific groups on LinkedIn is a great way to find out what is on their minds
- Use Google Trends to research trending topics
Content Creation Checklist:
Now that you know what kind of content to create, here’s a checklist to help you keep your content exciting and worth consuming!
- Is there industry jargon that you can eliminate?
- Is your content coherent with your core topic?
- Does your content align with your buyer personas?
- Have you reflected your prospect’s pains or desires as a would-be client?
- In using a trending topic, have you managed to link your content back to your business?
- Have you told a story that demonstrates empathy and relatability?
- Is your content robotic?
- Have you injected your humor, authenticity and empathy into your content?
- Is it clear that you’re creating content to help your prospect or only because you want their attention?
- Do you have a clear and single call to action?
- Have you asked your audience to engage with your content (comment or share)?
- Have you given your audience a reason to take action after reading your content?
- Is your content something that you would want to share with others if you came across it?
Step 4: Create Gated Content
By now you have a solid strategy for generating high quality traffic through your targeted content. In the next step we’ll talk about a simple and effective way to capture hot leads from that traffic.
Introducing gated content. It's a strategy that asks a prospect to share their email and personal details in exchange for content that they want. Once you have a prospect’s email it becomes a lot easier to nurture them from prospect to client.
Unfortunately many financial advisors struggle with making gated content work for them. What’s important is that your gated content needs to have relative value. For example, asking prospects to fill out their entire life story in a survey may not be worth a gated infographic or checklist.
Here are a few gated content ideas for you to consider:
- Live webinars
- Webinar replays
- White papers
- Cheat sheets
It’s best to look at the gated content in your niche on websites and social media to help you determine what’s best for you.
Step 5: Leverage The Right Tools
One of the best things you can do to get more done in less time is to automate things - that way, the business runs smoothly without you needing to be there 24/7.
Once you have a website up and running, make use of the tools available to capture leads and nurture them into becoming new clients. A great way to do this is by using email marketing.
By setting up specific campaigns for different groups of prospects that have unique requirements, you can keep them engaged by sending regular emails relevant to what they’re looking for, and how exactly you can help them.
One of our latest (and greatest!) features here on Advisor Websites is our all-in-one email marketing tool - choose from a list of topics that resonate with your potential clients and save time writing and crafting the email content. Best part - it’s fully automated and ready to launch!
Ready To Capture Leads? Let’s Do This!
For financial advisors, nurturing your new leads is everything. You cannot ask for their business before you’ve built trust and credibility. Often times people don’t know they need your services until you educate them, which why we’ve laid out here 5 steps to an effective prospecting technique you can start using today:
- Know Your Audience (what are their pain points?)
- Find Your Audience (be where they are!)
- Become A Source Of Value (create trust and credibility)
- Create Gated Content (capture their attention and details!)
- Leverage The Right Tools (convert your leads into clients)
If this sounds overwhelming, we can help. The Advisor Websites platform provides financial advisors everywhere with complete and easy-to-use marketing solutions - lead capture forms, intuitive website building, email marketing automation, social media planning… all ready-to-use and customizable to suit your individual brand.
Not sure where to start with your website or digital marketing strategy?